Northern General Hospital - Clock Tower

CONTRACT DETAILS

Client: Northern General Hospital
Consultant/Architect: NGH Estates Department
Completion Date: April 2011
Value: £820,000

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

Originally opened in 1881 as the Sheffield Union Fir Vale Workhouse, the main building housed 1800 inmates with the clock tower block being the main entrance to staff and visitors. The building now houses office and administration staff for the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust.

Refurbishment works began in October 2010 to the front elevation of the building starting with window replacement and rainwater pipe work modifications. The scheme was extended to incorporate brickwork cleaning and once the scaffolding was in place it was apparent that major works were required to the existing slate roof covering and lead work.

The has been preserved and restored to its original state by specialist contractors and a new hammer has been installed to the existing bell which had long since disappeared.